Monday, March 8, 2010

MGRP: Chapter 4 Poetry

This reading opened my eyes to using poetry in my classroom. As a child, I was never introduced to poetry, and this is probably why I was unaware that I could use this in my future classroom. Poetry evokes emotions quickly, and this could benefit you're classroom as a whole. As a teacher, one of your main goals is to create a community in the classroom. When you are introducing poetry, ask your students to share their favorite pieces of poetry. This helps the students sharing their ideas, and emotions to their classmates. This helps students start listening and appreciating others ideas. Most students write with experience, so poetry allows the teacher to have an insight of the experiences or ideas that are going on inside the child's head.

Overall, this reading helped me realize that you can use poetry when writing these large papers, and it helps build a community in your classroom.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you talk about poetry being a good sort of ice-breaker that allows students to share their writing with their classmates and gaining confidence. Not as many students will feel embarrassed when reading their poetry like they might when reading a paper aloud.

    ReplyDelete