Saturday, January 23, 2010

Wilde Reading

I enjoyed reading this article. I think that this article helped me as a future teacher learn about the problems we are having with spelling, and how we can help to fix them. There is a large problem in schools of teaching kids how to spell. I remember having to look up words in the dictionary, and I found it annoying because my teacher knew the answer. Looking back on it now, she was helping me develop my own way to learn how to spell. I definitely want to incorporate these techniques into my future classroom, because I think they would help students.

One part of the article that I thought was interesting was the Placeholder Spelling technique. It is a quick spelling of a word, and the writer knows it is not correct. What is vital about this technique is that it is helping kids sound out words they are hearing. If they are sounding out the same sounds over and over again, they are going to be able to then learn the actual spelling of the word. By the teacher not giving the student the answer right away, it helps the student sound it out, and make them come to their own conclusion.

Overall, I really liked this article, and it was very beneficial to me as a future teacher.

4 comments:

  1. This article is very beneficial for future teaching. It allows you to realize that not every student will be the same. As a teacher you really have to get close to your students and understand them and their thinking process. Some student will use the placeholder spelling technique while others will use human resources. If you don’t know your student you may mistake their placeholder technique as them not knowing how to spell or having a learning disability. Spelling is a big challenge for early learners, we as teachers need to make sure we have all the resources our students may need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this article was very interesting and will be beneficial to us as future teachers. As Ashley also commented on above, I thought it was fascinating that, although some students may have what appears to be horrible spelling, they may just be trying to write all of their ideas as quickly as they can without paying any attention to the way they spell words. I could understand how a child with spelling that is completely inaccurate may be seen as having a possible learning disability. Understanding this topic could make us more aware of the ways in which students attempt to spell words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree that it was beneficial for us as pre-service teachers. As Kelly said before, I would've seen those particular students as maybe having a learning disibility, however I never would've thought (as stated in the article) that maybe they are just amazing writers and do not want to lose their thought process as they are writing, therefore they just write the word as quickly and as possible just to get the idea down on paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren, You sparked some interesting comments about the importance of students using the placeholder method to get something down on paper and move on. You made a great connection recalling your frustration at taking much time to look up words in the dictionary. Do you think that slowed your flow of writing?

    ReplyDelete